Aug 27th 2016
Hanshin Tigers 2
Streak: Won 4 Last 5: WLWWW
|W: Ishikawa L: Aoyagi S: Akiyoshi|
The Swallows’ Masanori Ishikawa became the 48th pitcher in NPB and 3rd pitcher in ballclub history to win 150 games in a well deserved 5-3 road win over Hanshin.
|1||Sakaguchi (CF)||1||Uemoto (3B)|
|2||Miwa (RF)||2||Houjyo (SS)|
|3||Yamada (2B)||3||Takayama (LF)|
|4||Balentien (LF)||4||Fukudome (RF)|
|5||Imanami (3B)||5||Haraguchi (1B)|
|6||Ugumori (1B)||6||Nakatani (CF)|
|7||Nishiura (SS)||7||Yamato (2B)|
|8||Nishida (C)||8||Sakamoto (C )|
|9||Ishikawa (SP)||9||Aoyagi (SP)|
The starters for this game were Ishikawa for the Swallows, and young Aoyagi for Hanshin. Ishikawa, winless in his last four starts was looking for win #150 in his career as well as to keep the club’s modest winning streak alive.
First inning: the Swallows got to Aoyagi early in this one as they scored two runs on RBI groundouts by Yamada and Balentien. 2-0 Swallows
Third inning: Hanshin chipped away at the early lead thanks to an RBI single to right field by Houjyo. 2-1 Swallows
Sixth inning: The Swallows got the inning started with a lead off single by Sakaguchi, a sacrifice bunt by Miwa, and a hit by pitch to Yamada. After Balentien battled Hanshin starter Aoyagi to a full count, he proceeded to drive an inside fastball to the left field stands. 5-1 Swallows
Eighth inning: Although Ishikawa was cruising through the Hanshin lineup through seven innings, he gave up a pinch hit home run to Kano to straightaway centerfield. It was Kano’s second pinch hit home run of the season but I doubt most readers of this site care. 5-2 Swallows
Ishikawa came out for the ninth inning and got the first two outs, he ran into a little trouble and surrendered the mound to closer Akiyoshi. Akiyoshi came on and struck out Hanshin pinch hitter Mauro Gomez to secure the win for the Swallows, and win #150 for Ishikawa. 5-2 Swallows FINAL
- Ishikawa’s final pitching line: 8.2 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts, and two earned runs on 120 pitches.
- This was Ishikawa’s 150th win in his 15th season in professional baseball.
- Ishikawa with a typically Japanese quote after the game: “This isn’t something I achieved by myself. It’s thanks to my wife and two kids who support me as well as the manager and coaches who have used me since my rookie season.”
- Wladimir Balentien had four RBIs to lead the Swallows.
- The Swallows climbed up to 4th place in the Central League standings, 2.5 games behind Yokohama.
- Starters for Sunday’s finale at Iwasada for Hanshin, Yamanaka for the Swallows.
- YOKOHAMA WE COMIN FOR YOU