July 2nd, 2016
Tokyo Swallows 2
Streak: Won 2 Last 5: WLLWW
Your Swallows started the evening in 6th place but somehow only three games behind the second place Giants.
|W: Lueke (4-2: 2.65 ERA)
L: Miyaguni (3-1: 2.48)
S: Akiyoshi (3-3 3S: 2.25)
|1||Hashimoto (CF)||1||Ohbiki (SS)|
|2||Yoshikawa (2B)||2||Sakaguchi (CF)|
|3||Sakamoto (SS)||3||Kawabata (3B)|
|4||Chono (RF)||4||Yamada (2B)|
|5||Abe (1B)||5||Yuhei (RF)|
|6||Murata (3B)||6||Balentien (LF)|
|7||Garrett (LF)||7||Imanami (1B)|
|8||Sanematsu (C)||8||Nakamura (C)|
|9||Sugano (RHP)||9||Davies (RHP)|
|RP||Miyaguni (R), Yamaguchi (L)||RP||Lueke (R), Akiyoshi (R)|
Despite a whole bunch of base runners, this game stayed scoreless until the bottom of the sixth.
Kawabata drew a full count walk, and he reached third on Yamada’s single to right. Yomiuri tried to turn two on Yuhei’s grounder to third, but they only got the lead runner. Kawabata scored from third.
But the lead didn’t last long. Garrett drew a walk and made it to second safely on Ohbiki’s missed attempt at a backhand flip on a grounder up the middle. He scored on Ohta’s (pinch-hitting for Sugano) hit over the heads of the drawn in outfield. However, the go ahead run was thrown out at the plate.
Yamada’s third hit of the game, however, restored the advantage. Miyaguni, still on the mound after a clean seventh inning, left what looked like a slider up in the zone and Yamada pulled it over the fence in left. It was his 27th of the year.
Akiyoshi came in to try and seal the deal in the top of the ninth.
It wasn’t easy, but with one out and runners on first and second, Garrett grounded into an unassisted 6-3 double play. It was Akiyoshi’s third save of the season.
Davies had himself one of his best outings so far this season and was somewhat unlucky that he didn’t factor into the final decision. He threw 111 pitches over seven full innings and allowed just the one earned run from six hits. He also mixed in five Ks, one BB, and one HBP (Murata). It was the third time that he’s allowed just one earned run this season.
Game two of this short series in Akita is scheduled for 2:30 PM if the weather cooperates.
- Yamada was the easy choice for game MVP. He was 3-4 at the plate with seven total bases and the game winning homer.
- Today was Balentien’s birthday, and he managed to grab a birthday single in the fourth.
- The game was delayed 30 minutes due to rain, and there was a strong wind blowing in from center field throughout the contest.
- Once the game started, it took two hours and 55 minutes to complete.
- 21,437 people watched this game in Akita, a home away from home game for the birds.
- The Tokyo Swallows are now two games behind the Giants who are now in third. After beating the first place Carp, Yokohama pipped the Giants for second.
- Hiroshima still has a 9.5 game cushion atop the Central League. Two games separate 2nd through 6th.