June 24th, 2016
Tokyo Swallows 5
Streak: Won 1 Last 5: LWWLW
(Meiji Jingu Stadium)
As news of a Brexit win reverberated throughout the day in Japan, the Swallows managed to be a slight ray of light in a dark day as they opened up the second half of their 2016 campaign with a win.
|W: Ogawa (4-3);
L: Wakamatsu (5-6)
|1||Yohei Oshima (CF)||1||Keiji Obiki (SS)|
|2||Kyohei Kamezawa (2B)||2||Tomotaka Sakaguchi (CF)|
|3||Ryosuke Hirata (RF)||3||Shingo Kawabata (3B)|
|4||Dayan Viciedo (1B)||4||Tetsuto Yamada (2B)|
|5||Ricardo Nanita (LF)||5||Yuhei (Takai) (RF)|
|6||Anderson Hernandez (3B)||6||Wladimir Balentien (LF)|
|7||Naomichi Donoue (SS)||7||Akihisa Nishida (1B)|
|8||Shota Sugiyama (C)||8||Yuhei Nakamura (C)|
|9||Shunta Wakamatsu (P)||9||Yasuhiro Ogawa (P)|
Obiki started off the game with a double. He advanced to third on a Sakaguchi ground out. After Kawabata flied out to shallow left, Yamada took a tough low outside pitch and belted a homer to right field. 2-0 Swallows It was Yamada’s first homer the other way this season.
The Swallows got an extra run when Nishida lead off the second with a solo shot to left. 3-0 Swallows
The onslaught continued in the third as Sakaguchi walked and Kawabata doubled to put men in scoring position for Yamada. Yamada did Yamada things by smoking a 0-2 inside fastball to left for a double to score two. 5-0 Swallows
Things settled down from there but Ogawa pitched like an ace keeping the Dragons off the board. Ogawa pitched seven innings of no walk shutout ball getting 7 strikeouts while giving up 7 hits.
The Swallows handed the ball to Akiyoshi in the eighth and the Dragons got their only run an a walk-double combo. 5-1 Swallows
Ondrusek came in and got the last three outs on just five pitches to secure the win. 5-1 Swallows FINAL
- The game started under light rain, but the weather cleared by the end of the third inning.
- Yamada was walked and hit in his last two plate appearances, so he ended the night 2-for-2 with 4 RBIs, a HR, and a double.
- Ogawa got his first W since April 30.
- Imanami was reactivated after just 6 days after being removed from the active roster due to his collision with Kawabata on June 17. Imanami was removed from the active roster on a concussion watch and was allowed to return to the active roster before the usual 10 day wait period once he was cleared of any concussion symptoms. This was the first time NPB’s new concussion protocols were applied to a player.
- The Swallows and Dragons will play tomorrow starting at 14:00. Kyle Davies will get the start for the Swallows while the Dragons will start Jordan Norberto.
- While it may be too late now, we’d like to clearly get it on record that Tsubamegun is 100% against the Brexit movement and are saddened by the events that transpired during the day.