After a slight delay due to technical difficulties I’m pleased to announce the second episode of the TS Podcast After Hours. In this episode Dan and I discuss and explain cheering in Japan. We go through major concepts found in Japanese cheering and explain how they apply specifically to the Swallows. Hopefully this episode will help people understand how cheering works in Japan and make it easier to join in at the stadium. This episode also features intro music arranged by Tsubamegun’s own Dave Watkins.
- Intro (0:00)
- Luis Perez (0:53)
- Memories of Cheering Back Home (2:23)
- First Impressions of Japanese Cheering (5:48)
- Team Songs and Associated Rituals (6:51)
- The Ouendan (11:56)
- Generic Cheers (16:00)
- Player Songs (17:10)
- Chance Themes (22:32)
- Random Thoughts and Commentary (24:26)
- One Final Advanced Tip (26:31)
- Listener Question
- Cheerleader/Wins Correlation (28:42)
- Closing Remarks (30:01)
- The official homepage of the Swallows Ouendan – You can get the latest lyric sheets and links to MP3s of player songs.
- The official YouTube channel of the Swallows Ouendan – Lyric videos and other assorted videos from the ouendan.
- Player Introduction video – See how player songs are sung during player introductions. Taken before last year’s CL clincher.
- Remembering Masayasu Okada – An article about the originator of many Swallows cheering traditions.