August 19th, 2015
Yokohama BayStars 3
Streak: Won 1 Last 5: LWLLW
|W: Ogawa; L: Miura|
Ogawa took advantage of an early four run lead and coasted his way to a second straight superb outing as the Swallows clinched a winning record against Yokohama for the first time in three seasons.
|1||Hiyane (CF)||1||Otosaka (CF)|
|2||Kawabata (3B)||2||Yamashita (2B)|
|3||Yamada (2B)||3||Kajitani (RF)|
|4||Hatakeyama (1B)||4||Tsutsugo (LF)|
|5||Yuhei (CF)||5||Lopez (1B)|
|6||Ohbiki (SS)||6||Kuramoto (SS)|
|7||Araki (LF)||7||Baldiris (3B)|
|8||Nakamura (C)||8||Minei (C)|
|9||Ogawa (P)||9||Miura (P)|
The starters for his game were Ogawa, coming off a complete game shutout against Hiroshima against long time Swallows nemesis Miura.
– Top first inning (bulletpoints for your reading pleasure)
- Hiyane and league leading hitter Kawabata reached, Yamada doubled to score Hiyane. 1-0 Swallows
- Hatakeyama followed with a sacrifice fly to score Kawabata. 2-0 Swallows
- Yuhei doubled to center to score Yamada. 3-0 Swallows
- Araki doubled to left, Yuhei scored. 4-0 Swallows
- 5 hits, 4 runs, 0 errors
– Bottom first inning: After Yamashita doubled to left, Kajitani reached and advanced to second base on Kawabata’s fielding error. Tsutsugohhhhhhhhhh then walked to load the bases with one out. An uncharacteristic Ohbiki fumble allowed Lopez to reach and Yamashita to score. However, Ogawa was able to keep things in order by striking out Kuramoto and retiring Baldiris. 4-1 Swallows
– Top second inning: the Swallow added another run as Hiyane and Kawabata both collected their second hit within two innings. Yamada then hit a sacrifice fly to score an additional run before Kawabata was thrown out trying to steal with Hatake at bat. 5-1 Swallows
– Top eighth inning; the Swallows took advantage of a Yokohama error to pad their lead and give the horses in the bullpen a well deserved day off. After Miwa walked, Nakamura reached and advanced to second on Kuramoto’s throwing error. With runners on second and third base with one out, pitcher Ogawa was up at the plate. Putting aside the debate of whether Ogawa should have batted for himself in the eighth or the fact that nobody on the bench could be trusted right now for timely hitting, it was Ogawa at bat with a glorious chance to increase the lead… and he did not disappoint. Although it was not a home run like his last start in Jingu, he squeezed home a run and Miwa scored. After another error by Yokohama, Kawabata singled home two runs and left little doubt of the final result. 8-1 Swallows
– Bottom ninth inning: Yokohama put together a mini rally after Ogawa departed the game but it was already too late. They scored two consolation runs before Kyukoh came in to shut the door. 8-3 Swallows
- After what was Miura’s shortest outing of the season, he was shipped off to Yokosuka and the farm. Craft veteran pitchers take note.
- Ogawa has given up zero earned runs in his last seventeen innings of work.
- Starters for the rubber game of the three game series are slumping Ishikawa for the Swallows (although he is 3-0, 1.46 ERA against Yokohama this season) and Ishida for the Yokohamas.