May 28th, 2015
Tokyo Swallows 7
Streak: Won 1 Last 5: WWLTW
(Meiji Jingu Stadium)
After a merciless beating followed by a hard fought tie, the pendulum finally swung fully to the Swallows side and the Swallows got a (relatively) easy win against the Fighters to end the season series 1-1-1.
|W: Naruse (2-5)
L: Uwasawa (3-5)
S: Barnette (12)
|1||Haruki Nishikawa (LF)||1||Tetsuto Yamada (2B)|
|2||Takuya Nakashima (SS)||2||Ryota Fujii (CF)|
|3||Hiromi Oka (CF)||3||Shingo Kawabata (3B)|
|4||Sho Nakata (1B)||4||Kazuhiro Hatakeyama (1B)|
|5||Kensuke Kondo (C)||5||Yuhei (Takai) (RF)|
|6||Kenshi Sugiya (RF)||6||Mitch Dening (LF)|
|7||Ryo Watanabe (2B)||7||Takahiro Imanami (SS)|
|8||Brandon Laird (3B)||8||Yuhei Nakamura (C)|
|9||Naoyuki Uwasawa (P)||9||Yoshihisa Naruse (P)|
Naruse was looking for his first win since opening day and pitched his best game as a Swallow. While he scattered a few hits Naruse kept the Fighters off the board and walk-free for seven full innings.
Meanwhile the Swallows jumped on the board early after Yamada walked to lead off the inning and stole second. Fujii got on base thanks to an Uwasawa bobble. Kawabata got one run home with a double. 1-0 Swallows After Hatake failed to get anything done, Yuhei got an infield single that scored Fujii. 2-0 Swallows Mitch Denning capped off the scoring with a ground out. 3-0 Swallows
The Swallows extended their lead in the fifth inning without getting a single hit. Uwasawa walked Yamada to lead things off. Yamada promptly stole second and Fujii bunted Yamada over to third for the first out. Kawabata got plunked hard by Uwasawa before Hatake hit a grounder that got Yamada caught in a run down. Uwasawa proceeded to lose control and walked Yuhei, Dening, and Imanami back-to-back-to-back for two runs. 5-0 Swallows
A Yamada-Kawabata double-single combo scored an insurance run in the sixth. 6-0 Swallows
As did a Dening walk followed by a Nakamura double did in the seventh. 7-0 Swallows
Naruse’s good night didn’t last into the eighth inning however and the Fighters scored four runs in the inning. Matsuoka relieved Naruse after the first three runs but gave up the hit for the fourth run. 7-4 Swallows
Tony came into the game in the ninth to deal with the save situation and did his job to preserve the win. 7-4 Swallows FINAL
- Naruse pitched 7.1 innings on 132 (!) pitches, giving up 10 hits, no walks, 4 runs, and 2 earned runs. He had 6 strikeouts for the night.
- Tony tied a CL record for consecutive shutout games starting from the opening game with 20. The CL record for consecutive shutout games to start the season (i.e. for pitchers that didn’t appear on opening day) stands at 24.
- Mitch Dening had and interesting line, 0-for-2 with 2 RBIs. Dening has a .167 batting average while sporting a .500 OBP. Is Mitch Dening going to become the Australian Aaron Guiel?
- The Swallows got outhit 11-8, but won the battle of walks 9-0 with an HBP for good measure.
- The Swallows will travel down to Fukuoka to face the Hawks over the weekend.