April 30th, 2015
Hanshin Tigers 5
Streak: Lost 4 Last 5: WLLLL
The Swallows got swept for the first time this season as they wasted yet another quality start from Arakaki.
|W: Takamiya (1-0)
L: Nakazawa (1-1)
|1||Tetsuto Yamada (2B)||1||Hiroki Uemoto (2B)|
|2||Tsuyoshi Ueda (RF)||2||Tsuyoshi Nishioka (3B)|
|3||Shingo Kawabata (3B)||3||Takeshi Toritani (SS)|
|4||Yuhei (Takai) (CF)||4||Mauro Gomez (1B)|
|5||Takahiro Araki (LF)||5||Kosuke Fukudome (RF)|
|6||Ryosuke Morioka (SS)||6||Matt Murton (LF)|
|7||Shinichi Takeuchi (1B)||7||Hayata Itoh (CF)|
|8||Akihisa Nishida (C)||8||Ryutaro Umeno (C)|
|9||Nagisa Arakaki (P)||9||Akira Iwamoto (P)|
The hot-hitting Hatakeyama literally got too hot to start as he spiked a fever earlier in the day. No confirmation whether the illness was in any way related to the allegations that broke earlier in the day that Kazuhiro Hatakeyama is in fact the god Ebisu. The Swallows started Takeuchi in his place.
The Swallows actually took the lead for the first time in the series in the third inning. Yamada led off the inning with a hard hit to third that Nishioka misplayed allowing the ball to bounce off him for a double. Ueda bunted Yamada to third, and Kawabata hit a clean single to right for a run. 1-0 Swallows
Arakaki’s junk ball pitching kept the Tigers largely off the base paths though four innings. The Tigers got their lone run off of Arakaki on a walk to Murton followed by a double down the left field line by Ito. 1-1 All
Arakaki came out of the game for a pinch hitter after 6 innings of work. Nakazawa came in to start the seventh. Fukudome mamaged to get a triple off of Nakazawa after Yuhei managed to let Fukudome’s knuckle ball liner get past him. Nakazawa got Murton to ground out for one out. Akiyoshi came in for Nakazawa and promptly plonked Sekine. Akiyoshi followed with a K to Kano, but walked Shunsuke after 10 pitches to load the bases. With two out and the bases loaded it came down to Akiyoshi vs. Uemoto, and Uemoto won with a bases clearing double off of Akiyoshi’s second pitch. 4-1 Tigers Nishioka followed with a single for an insurance run. 5-1 Tigers
That was all she wrote as the Swallows got swept by the Tigers having managed to only score 3 runs in three games. 5-1 Tigers FINAL
- Arakaki threw 6 innings on 86 pitches giving up 3 hits and 3 walks while collecting 5 strikeouts. It was Arakaki’s second straight quality start, and his first start as a Swallow without giving up a wild pitch.
- The sweep dropped the Swallows’ road record to 5-10. The Swallows sport a 10-3 record at home, including one “home” game at Matsuyama.
- The Swallows loss combined with the Giants win dropped the Birds to second in the CL, tied with Yokohama, with a 15-13 record. Only 2.5 games separate the fifth place Tigers with the first place Giants. Only the sixth place Carp lag behind the pack with a 9-16 record.
- Only Yamada and Kawabata managed to get hits with two apiece.
- The Swallows will look to bounce back at home starting tomorrow in a sold out series against the Carp. Tomorrow’s game will see Ogawa face Kuroda.