Monday Bullets is a feature in which Tsubamegun writers (mostly Kozo) gather random news, thoughts, images, movies, etc. during the week and publish them for off day consumption.
It was a fairly nondescript week off the field for the Swallows. The Swallows went 3-2 on the week including a two game sweep of the BayStars. This week will look at scheduling and attendance for the Swallows.
- Muranaka was taken off the active roster on Wednesday after his start citing inflammation in his non-throwing shoulder. The removal is being written as a precautionary measure. Hiyane took Muranaka’s place on the roster. Kawasaki and Miwa were removed from the active roster on Friday and were replaced by Fujii and Ishiyama on Saturday.
- It appears that Kiya will take Muranaka’s spot in the rotation this week. He is the announced starter for tomorrow’s game.
- NPB released attendance figures (link to YakyuBaka) for the season so far. The Swallows’ average attendance is up compared to last year, but they’ve been overtaken by Yokohama for the worst attendance in the CL.
- Aikawa made two starts this week. His start on the 20th was his first start in 11 games. Expect Aikawa to make a few more starts as his ability to call games has been praised, and his veteran presence has been credited with part of Ogawa’s success last night.
- The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has crept into the Swallows. Coco Balentien got a bucket of ice water dumped on his head prior to Saturday’s game. He was apparently nominated by Orlando Roman, and Coco passed the challenge along outside of the Swallows’ organization by nominating Felix Hernandez, Andruw Jones, and a relative.
- NPB also released the makeup game schedule earlier this week. Eight games have been added to the Swallows’ schedule including four Jingu games. For now the Swallows are scheduled to end the season with a two game series against the BayStars on October 5-6. We’ll update our Google Calendar schedule displayed on our front page soon.
- This GIF of a large cicada landing on Tony at Jingu has been making the rounds. Like the honey badger, Tony gives no shits and kept pitching.