August 23rd, 2014
Yokohama BayStars 2
Tokyo Swallows 4
Streak: LLWLW Last 5: Won 1
(Matsuyama Botchan Stadium)
The Swallows made their annual trip to Matsuyama to play a home-away-from-home series. Thanks to their choice of opponent the Swallows actually got the home team treatment from the crowd.
|W: Yamamoto (3-3)
L: Soto (0-1)
S: Barnette (7)
|1||Takehiro Ishikawa (2B)||1||Tetsuto Yamada (2B)|
|2||Noriharu Yamazaki (SS)||2||Tsuyoshi Ueda (CF)|
|3||Takayuki Kajitani (CF)||3||Shingo Kawabata (3B)|
|4||Tony Blanco (1B)||4||Wladimir Balentien (LF)|
|5||Hitoshi Tamura (RF)||5||Yuhei (Takai) (RF)|
|6||Aarom Balderis (3B)||6||Kazuhiro Hatakeyama (1B)|
|7||Masayuki Kuwahara (RF)||7||Ryosuke Morioka (SS)|
|8||Toshiki Kurobane (C)||8||Yuhei Nakamura (C)|
|9||Guillermo Moscoso (P)||9||Taichi Ishiyama (P)|
The BayStars drew first blood against Ishiyama in the second after Tamura lead off the inning with a solo homer. 1-0 BayStars The BayStars added another run off of a Kuwahara single that was immediately followed by a Kurobane double. 2-0 BayStars
The Swallows got one back in the third. After giving up two straight outs, Yamada singled and Ueda followed with a walk. Kawabata managed to single home Yamada for the run. 2-1 BayStars
The Swallows were largely held in check by Moscoso until the BayStars decided to lift him for Soto after six innings. Ishiyama also looked better after the second although he had to deal with a bases loaded situation that wasn’t really his fault. (More in the game notes.)
Though the Swallows didn’t have a good day against Moscoso they did well against the BayStars’ bullpen. Soto allowed a one out single to Morioka, and was let down by his defense as Yamazaki misplayed a Nakagawa grounder to put two men on base. That play ended Soto’s night and the BayStars sent Kuniyoshi to the mound. Kuniyoshi allowed a infield single to Iihara to load the bases. Yamada got the tying run home with a single to right. 2-2 All Ueda struck out but Kawabata made sure the Swallows took the lead with a single to left to score two runs. 4-2 Swallows
The Swallows bullpen managed to hold the BayStars and the Birds managed to get just their fifth win against the BayStars on the season. 4-2 Swallows FINAL
- Ishiyama lasted 5 innings on 98 pitches. He allowed 2 runs of 5 hits and 3 walks. He did not factor in the decision.
- The bullpen relay of Matsuoka, Nakazawa, Yamamoto, Akiyoshi, and Barnette threw the last four innings. Everyone was perfect except Nakazawa who allowed a hit and a walk in the seventh and was relieved by Yamamoto for the final out of the inning.
- Yamada became the first player in NPB this season to reach 150 hits with a single in the third. Yamada ended the night with 2 hits for 151 hits total on the season.
- Ogawa came off the bench to argue a call in the fifth inning. With one out and Ishikawa on second, Ishiyama fielded a comebacker and got Ishikawa in a rundown between second and third. With Kawabata chasing him back towards second, Ishikawa spun under Kawabata and got to third. Ishikawa was arguably outside the basepaths and may have been tagged by Kawabata to boot. The argument obviously didn’t reverse the call, and the Swallows were stuck with men in scoring position with one out. Ishiyama managed to get out of the inning unscathed.
- The Swallows will try to sweep the mini-series with Ogawa scheduled to face Ino tomorrow evening.