Monday Bullets is a feature in which Tsubamegun writers (mostly Kozo) gather random news, thoughts, images, movies, etc. during the week and publish them for off day consumption.
Going to the Swallows-BayStars series this past weekend has taken a lot out of me. I could share plenty of depressing stats about how we’re blowing as a team. But I’ll keep it to the basic facts this week.
- Hatakeyama played a farm game on Friday and Saturday. He went a combined 2-for-6 with a double and a strikeout. He may return as early as tomorrow’s game. If Hatake is the last major offensive player to return from injury. Besides Milledge, who is out for the season, the Swallows offense will basically be complete with the return of Fludge. The only way we can improve going forward is for players to play better.
- Since the last edition of the Bullets Muranaka and Yamanaka were called up on Friday. Araki was sent down on Saturday, while Yuichi and Ishikawa got call ups. Chris Carpenter was sent down after his bad game on Saturday. He was replaced by Kenta Abe for Sunday’s game. Earlier today Iwamura and Akagawa were deactivated. I expect Hatake to take Iwamura’s place, and I’m not quite sure who to expect in the pitcher’s spot. As I mentioned last time, Chris Narveson’s due for a call up.
- Our new acquisition Yamanaka already made his Swallows debut. Arakaki made his Swallows debut on the farm on Saturday, when he started a game and threw three innings. Reports have Arakaki starting another nigun game on Saturday with a 100 pitch goal. If that works out expect Arakaki to get a call up the next week.
- Our current rotation looks something like Ishikawa, Ogawa, Yagi, Narveson (?), Ishiyama, and Muranaka (?). Ishiyama has looked better with each start even though he still hasn’t notched a win as a starter. The (?) players are the ones I expect to work the hardest to protect their spots. Besides Arakaki, I expect Sugiura will probably get a chance next month.
- The Monday Bullets will take a break next week as I’ll be away on holiday. I’ll be back in two weeks, and I hope to write about positive developments. Remember it could be worse ↓