Monday Bullets is a feature in which Tsubamegun writers (mostly Kozo) gather random news, thoughts, images, movies, etc. during the week and publish them for off day consumption.
A very short set of bullets this week as only one game got played since the last one.
- Wladimir Balentien got voted onto the All Star team as the third outfielder for the CL. He was the only Swallow selected by the fans. Coco topped the player’s vote. It remains to be seen if he’ll be back in time to play in the All Star game.
- Tetsuto Yamada ended up winning the CL Nihon Seimei Award for Interleague. The Award is awarded to the top player from each league that wasn’t on the Interleague winning team.
- At the end of June last year the Swallows were in last place in the CL with a 26-41-1 record. This year they find themselves in fifth with a 29-37-2 record.
- Last year Coco had 25 home runs through June. This year’s CL home run leader, Hiroshima’s Brad Eldred, finds himself with 25 home runs through June 30. No rumbling yet about the home run record, but something to keep in mind as the weather heats up.
- This week’s Japan Baseball Weekly podcast features an interview with the Swallows’ very own Tony Barnette. Go listen to it to hear Tony being his usual articulate self.
- Ishiyama and Muranaka’s names have been raised as possible rotation fillers in the near future. Also Ogawa has been pitching in ni-gun games and may make his top team return soon. The Swallows will start a 9-game stretch on July 8, and Ogawa might return during that stretch.
- Remember Swallows fans, even if a game gets cancelled because of rain this man will (be made to) slide the bases for your pleasure.