Monday Bullets is a feature in which Tsubamegun writers (mostly Kozo) gather random news, thoughts, images, movies, etc. during the week and publish them for off day consumption.
- After Furuno’s good start this week the papers decided to report on a bit of a BFSN about the young pitcher. Apparently Furuno spends time in his dorm room in the buff. The reason he’s given is that he doesn’t like to feel constricted. Apparently when Shingo Takatsu, our pitching coach, was finalizing the top team fall camp line up Takatsu decided to add Furuno to the list after seeing the young pitcher nude through the window. According to Takatsu, the nudism showed him that Furuno had strong nerves. Don’t try to read too much into this report.
- The Swallows will join the other 11 NPB teams in opening up an official standalone merchandise store. The stroe will be located on stadium street which leads to Jingu from Gaienmae station. The store will join the unofficial Hanshin Tigers shop along that street, and will open on May 25th. Be on the lookout for a review by our resident tat master Dave when the store opens.
- During the offseason the Swallows announced that the Swallows third mascot Entaro would be retiring. However, once the season started Entaro was doing his thing as usual at games. We figured it was a half-baked plan that never materialized. The team suddenly announced yesterday that Entaro would retire after tonight’s games. Some merchandise with the English slogan “See you next time.” The team has also posted this page soliciting a name for their new mascot. The new mascot looks like a disturbing cross between Tsubakuro and a Ninja Turtle. The new mascot is supposed to be heroic and appeal to children.
- Lastings Milledge went back to the states to get his right shoulder examined. According to the report written by Jason Coskrey Milledge has been feeling soreness in his shoulder since spring camp. You can read the report for more details, but a a timetable for return has not been set.
- Piling onto the injury report is the fact that Waldimir Balentien was pulled from last night’s game after feeling tightness in his hips. He was not in the starting lineup for tonight’s game. He is still on the active roster, and no further updates on his condition have been given.
- However, Wataru Hiyane was called up to shore up the outfield depth. Ryo Hidaka was sent back to the farm.
- Yoshinori apparently threw to a sitting catcher on Sunday. This is the first time Yoshinori has thrown in the bullpen since February.
- This week’s Japan Baseball Weekly podcast features a interview with Balentien. Speaking of podcasts, the newest TS podcast will be up tomorrow morning Japan time.
- We leave you this week with the photo for Entaro’s yet unnamed replacement. May it not haunt you in your dreams.