April 23rd, 2014
Tokyo Swallows 3
Streak: Lost 7 Last 5: LLLLL
(Meiji Jingu Stadium)
|W: Bullington (3-2 / 2.94 ERA)
L: Yagi (0-1 / 7.13 ERA)
S: Mickolio (8S / 0.96 ERA)
Tokyo lost their 7th straight contest of a season that is looking bleaker with every passing day. So as to not to waste any more of both our time and soul than is absolutely necessary, I’ll keep this brief.
|Dobayashi (3B)||1||Yamada (2B)|
|Kikuchi (2B)||2||Ueda (CF)|
|Maru (CF)||3||Kawabata (3B)|
|Eldred (1B)||4||Balentien (LF)|
|Hirose (RF)||5||Yuhei (RF)|
|Rosario (LF)||6||Hatakeyama (1B)|
|Soyogi (SS)||7||Imanami (SS)|
|Shirahama (C)||8||Nakamura (C)|
|Bullington (P)||9||Yagi (P)|
Yagi started for the birds and gave up all of his runs over the first three innings of this one, putting the Swallows in a 5-0 Hiroshima hole.
After not threatening much of anything over the first third, Tokyo finally got on the board via a Kawabata homer to right (his first of the season) in the 4th, 5-1.
The 5th saw singles from Nakamura, Yamada, and Ueda, the last two of which brought home a run apiece to make it 5-3.
Yagi was done after inning number five, meaning Abe came in for the second straight night to give up a run, this time a solo shot from Hirose which put the margin back at three runs, a margin that would ultimately hold for the distance. 6-3 Hiroshima Final.
- Yagi’s final line: 5 IP / 113 P / 7 H / 7 K / 4 BB / 5 R / 4 ER. Now I do love me some Yagi, but he was mostly all over the place today.
- After Abe game up his daily run, Roman (7th and 8th) and Kyuko (9th inning) held the Carp bats hitless over the last third.
- Aside from that 5th inning spurt, Tokyo’s bats just couldn’t string anything together of note to really threaten their opposition.
- This game was 3 hours and 3 minutes of my life I will never get back.
- Yokohama lost again this evening, meaning the Swallows are still not in the CL basement, but that doesn’t really take away the taste of the shit sandwich. They are however well adrift of an A-Class position, and 4th placed Chunichi are also edging slowly away.
- Tomorrow will see Furuno take his turn at maybe 5 innings of damage limitation on the mound for your birds.