July 27th, 2013
Hiroshima Carp 3
Streak: Won 1 Last 5: LLWLW
(Mazda Zooooom Zoooooom Stadium Hiroshima)
After my extended All-star break, it was great to see the Birds get back in the win column.
|W: Ogawa (11-2; 2.70 ERA)
L: Nomura (5-4; 3.349)
The Birds bats got the early lead for Ogawa who pitched seven strong innings for win number 11.
|Yamada (2B)||1||Lewis (LF)|
|Ueda (CF)||2||Kikuchi (2B)|
|Milledge (LF)||3||Maru (CF)|
|Balentien (RF)||4||Ka'aihue (1B)|
|Kawabata (3B)||5||Soyogi (SS)|
|Hatakeyama (1B)||6||Matsuyama (RF)|
|Morioka (SS)||7||Ishihara (C)|
|Nakamura (C)||8||Dobayashi (3B)|
|Ogawa (P)||9||Nomura (P)|
After last nights disappointing finish, Tokyo looked to right the ship. Ogawa was on the hill and things looked good early. After a quick double-play, Milledge hit a solo HR to give Tokyo the early one run lead. 1 – 0 Tokyo
The scoreline would remain that until the bottom of the 6th. A lead-off single by Lewis and a 1-out single by Maru set the table for Ka’aihue. Hiroshima’s clean-up hitter fulfilled his role by hitting a 3-run shot to give the Carp the lead. 3 – 1 Hiroshima
Soyogi would get on base before Matsuyama hit into an inning ending double-play.
The Birds would storm back in a big way in the 8th inning. Morioka would lead-off the inning with a single. Nakamura would hit a double to put runners on 2nd and 3rd. Ogawa was due up but his evening was over and Iwamura strolled to the plate. He hit the 3rd consecutive hit in the inning and knocked in Morioka to get the Birds within a run. 3 – 2 Hiroshima
Capt. PH (Tanaka) would follow with a single, the 4th hit in a row. His single would tie the game and put runners on 1st and 2nd. 3 – 3
Ueda would groundout to first, with Tanaka and Iwamura advancing a base. Milledge would be intentionally walked to load the bases. Takeuchi would fly out for out number 2. Kawabata would give the Birds the lead for good when he hit a grand slam. 7 – 3 Tokyo
Boo would be the final out of the inning.
Ishiyama would pitch a 1-2-3 inning in the 8th. Yamamoto would finish the game in the ninth.
- 30,075 folks zoomed over to this one
- The zoom-zoom game took about 3 hours an 20 minutes to complete
- Ogawa is know 4-0 in 4 starts vs. Hiroshima
- Ogawa is also riding a 6 game win streak
- Milledge homered for the 3rd time in as many games
- Kawabata’s grand slam was the second of his career
- Balentien started the game despite feeling some tightness in his back during warm-ups. Takeuchi took his place in the line-up and Coco never had an official at-bat in the game. Coco’s condition is day-to-day.
- Tomorow will see Akagawa take-on Ono. First pitch is at 6 pm.