May 20th, 2013
Tohoku Golden Eagles 3
Streak: Lost 2 Last 5: LWWLL
(Kleenex Stadium Miyagi)
|W: Tomura (1-0; 1.13 ERA) L: Muranaka (3-3; 2.83) S: Aoyama (9S; 4.60)|
Oh so streaky Tokyo once again embarked on a downward swing, losing their second straight game as their bats were found wanting in Sendai.
|Hiyane (CF)||1||Matsui (SS)|
|Tanaka (2B)||2||Ginji (2B)|
|Milledge (LF)||3||Hijirisawa (CF)|
|Balentien (DH)||4||Jones (DH)|
|Iwamura (3B)||5||McGehee (1B)|
|Hatakeyama (1B)||6||Takasu (3B)|
|Takeuchi (RF)||7||Nakajima (LF)|
|Nakamura (C)||8||Shima (C)|
|Kawashima (SS)||9||Teppei (RF)|
|Muranaka (P)||P||Tomura (P)|
Muranaka got himself a lead in the top of the 1st, as a (back in the starting line up) Tanaka double and a single to left from Balentien off Tohoku starter Tomura (who was making his first appearance for the top team of 2013) opened the scoring. 1-0 Tokyo.
But never one to make an easy fist of it, Kyohei let the Eagles back in the game in the bottom of the inning. A lead off walk for Kaz Matsui and a single one out later from Hijirisawa put men on the corners for Jones. And he hit a sac fly to centre deep enough to score Matsui and we were all tied up at 1-1.
Muranaka then let one man on in the 2nd, two in the 3rd, and three in the 4th but managed to keep the score tied each time. However his luck finally ran out in the 5th as a solo shot from Jones just cleared the fence in left to make it 2-1 Tohoku.
Kyohei let another two on in the 6th before being replaced by Roman in the 7th. Orlando worked a perfect first inning of his shift, but gave up an Eagles’ insurance run in the 8th as a McGehee dead ball, a sac bunt, and a single brought home the Eagles’ third run for a 3-1 Tohoku scoreline.
After the 1st inning, the Tokyo bats managed just three more hits over the distance (Kawashima in the 3rd and 8th and Iwamura in the 4th – all singles) as eight innings from Tomura and one for Aoyama kept the flaccid Swallows’ bats under control. 3-1 Tohoku Final.
- Muranaka’s final line: 6 IP / 123 P / 8 H / 5 K / 3 BB / 2 ER.
- Roman’s earned run in the 8th puts his ERA up to 3.14.
- Not much else to say about this one really. The pitching duo did their best, but the bats, as so many times this season, did not have their backs.
- 15,199 folks witnessed this one, which lasted 2 hours 58 minutes.
- The last time Tokyo snapped a losing streak at one was way back on April 10th in an away series at Chunichi. Since then they have endured losing streaks of 4, 5, 4 and 6 games before their current 2 game mini-streak of joy.
- The Swallows take a day off before visiting Sapporo to face the Fighters for two games from Wednesday.