It’s that time of year again! The Tokyo Swallows started spring camp today–baseball season is just around the corner! Click here for a camp schedule and 1st/2nd team rosters.
In an effort to forge a little bit of a tradition here, I’m going to continue doing what I’ve done the last two seasons and make some pleas to the Jingu yakyu kami (read: Jingu stadium baseball gods).
1. The Swallows finish the year with a record above .500
2. Barnette wins 10 games
3. Yoshinori stops using Oil of Olay on his hands every night before going to bed
4. Lim makes fewer than 50 appearances (regular season)
5. We start the 2011 campaign with a manager who isn’t old enough to collect pension benefits
I definitely got what I wanted on numbers one and five but got sent back on numbers two (Barnette went 4-5) and four (53 appearances).
Number three? Not so sure. Did oniisan Sato miss any starts last season because of his delicate digits? I can’t remember that he did.
I’ll play it safe and say that I got a 50% return on that wish. That would mean that I did way better in 2010 than in 2009. I wonder if I should wish bigger this year…?
Without further ado:
1. Mikinori Katoh makes at least 15 appearances and keeps his ERA below 4.00
2. Barnette has at least 20 starts and keeps his ERA below 3.50
3. Ogawa calls for the bunt less than he did last year (even though he’ll be the manager for two months longer)
4. Whoever becomes the everyday right fielder gets more than 400 plate appearances and collects at least 100 hits
5. Aoki wins the Central League MVP
Feel free to post your comments on my picks and how likely they are to happen. Additionally, just as we’ve done in the past, go ahead and post your own ‘Wishful Thinking’ list for the 2011 season.